Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Advent Calendar Dec. 17, The Reason for the Season

So we celebrate Christmas with gift-giving, caroling, parties, family get-togethers and much, much more.  But for this "grab bag" post assignment as I was trying to think of what to write about today, I thought, what about Christmas villages, of which I have an ever-growing collection of pieces.  In fact, so many, that I now have to rotate them each Christmas because there is no room in my inn.  Then I thought about nativities, and then I thought that there was no assignment for that.  So, that is what I am going to do.  I have a small collection of various ones and will share some today.  At my work, there is currently a display of numerous ones.  They represent the true "Reason for this Season"! 

Here is one that I purchased a few years ago.  I really like this one.  It sits in the base of my grandfather's clock.


Here is a closer view of it.

This is a folding one that is somewhat of a backdrop style.  I like this one too!

Here is a section of my Christmas village.  You will see the village is a "busy" place.  People having a wedding, people working in the regular routines of their days, and in the very middle of the village is a tiny stable with a father, mother and Child in a quiet and unassuming place.   Does anyone else in the village notice?  No, not really...Are they missing the whole picture?  I think so!
Here is a German Christmas Arch.  It is a typical art from the Erzgebirge, Sachsen area of Germany.  This one sits on the fireplace mantel and is electrical with lights on top.
Here is another of that type.  This one was purchased this past August at the Midway, Utah, Swiss days.  It was not imported or made in China, for that fact, but rather in Casper, Wyoming.  The name of the artist was on a card that he gave me and I don't know what happened to that.  I will have to find out this next time to the Swiss days!  It is from patterns purchased in Germany.  He had an amazing display and they were reasonably priced!
Here is a "fun" one.  When I was a child, my mother's nativity was always a great interest to me.  I played with them regularly.  I did so often, that I bumped and bruised the people and animals.  She still has that nativity, bumps, bruises and all.  So when I saw the above nativity at Wal-mart, I bought it right away.  It was a cloth one that kids can play with, rearrange and of course, enjoy.  The pieces stick onto the manger with a strip of velcro.  It comes out every year.

Here are two.  The one on the left is Mary, Joseph and the baby on the back of the donkey.  And the one on the right is  a porcelain one that I worked on years ago as a Relief Society project.  I like it and hope that I don't ever drop it.  Or anyone else, thus the children's nativity above!
This one, of which I actually have two of, is made of Olive tree wood from Jerusalem. 
A simple ceramic scene.
This wood carved version was a gift from neighbors Sally and Steve several years ago.  You can see the figures of Baby Jesus and Mary and Joseph were taken from the piece the stable is from.  Very cool.
Mary, Joseph and the Baby Jesus
This was acquired from Deseret Book Store many years ago.
This is from Germany.  It was the only thing that I inherited from my maternal Grandmother Ottilie Gralla after she died.  It came with a cloth sack-type covering.
Here is the set Spencer made for us when we were first married.  It is ceramic.  It occupies the manger that was my mom's set. I added the star as there was an angel.  She eventually disintegrated.  There are also a couple of clay pots that were a later addition.  Below are the rest of the pieces in various views.


This is the base of my German Pyramid.  It is a nativity, too.  Below are a few of my pyramids from Germany of which, two are nativities.

Below my nativity at work. 
And another nice one at work:
We have a nice tall case in the main area of our floor at the Library.  In it are beautiful nativities.  But I made the mistake of holding the camera sideways, and even though I edited the picture to stand straight up, when I load it on my blog it is again the original sideways version.  :( so below is one picture from the tall case.
So this ends this post, wishing you, yet again, a very Merry Christmas!  Enjoy, celebrate and Remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment