Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Poland Pilgrimage Day 8

It is 6:00 am. And soon time to shower. I had some thoughts come to me and so am writing about them. First yesterday morning after waking I heard a pounding type noise. Later I asked Danuta if she heard it and what it was and she also didn’t know what it was. Later Jan told us that in the morning he had gotten up and chopped wood to heat the water. Wow, I was surprised about that. He says the gas and electricity are too expensive here. Anyway, just wanted to mention that.

Also, in most of Europe they don’t have screens on the windows and the same is here and I have been the meal for many a mosquito. But we must help the hungry or so we are told. Too bad about the type of hungry we are dealing with!

Also, the stork pair we saw in the nest on the day of arrival, I sort of remembered a stork nest 18 years ago and asked if they come back yearly. Jan said it is the same pair for 20 years now. Boy are the a happily married couple! Can you imagine having kids 20 years in a row. The thought makes my feet swell and my backache… Oh well!

Today it is raining and gray. It rained during the night. So, those are my random thoughts and I will continue after the day is gone by. Feel free to leave a comment if you like. I would love to hear from you also! Hope I am not boring anyone.

Just writing at the archives today.  Very busy here today for me because I got the big file that I hadn't been able to get yesterday.  Looks like we will be back here on Monday.  So much to do and see.  So many amazing record types.  I can't believe it. 

By the way, I guess I took my shower before Jan had a chance to chop the wood....so my hair didn't get washed.  Boy that was my fastest shower in history.  Today is rained hard and is still threatening to do some more it appears.  8 people in the archives besides us today.  The helpers have been helpful.  Did my gift put them in a nice mood?  I had been told I was limited but they have not limited my books or complained about all the books I have requested.  Danuta had to go move the car because they are going to cut the grass and it is a little in the way.  I have no book to view as I completed what we had.  I have found a lot of criminals in the court records belonging to my family.  They had verbal, physical abuse, thieves, racial discrimination against a Jewish woman and wood thieves.  Boy I have some black sheep.  Maybe more than I planned on. More later!

Well, today was a busy day at the archives. We took Theresa to Piekary Slask on the way and she stopped at a bakery (Piekarnia) in a town called Ziglia to get poppy seed cake. And this was a famous bakery. She bought Danuta and I both a piece and we dropped her off. Then we went on to the archives. We were about 15 minutes early. It seems to take about 1 hour to get there and Gliwice is about the same. We were able to see the Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen collection today. The index along stood about 12 or more inches thick. I picked many sources that sounded good to me and then found an unexpected treasure of many of my ancestors listed in there for one reason or another. I ordered the books and got tons, They really treated me well and again the 5 book rule was not adhered to. Thank goodness for me.

After we finished we went to pick up Theresa. They are having even more company on Sunday over nite, so we are staying at the Koschentin Palace studio apartments for one night. Danuta and I will then go to the Katowice archives for one more day of study. Thereafter to the Gliwice museum to pick up a book we wanted Wednesday but had no time to pick up. It is about the Jews of Gliwice. If it wasn’t for the really bad road conditions it wouldn’t be such a problem, but we will try. Then after that we will drive to Opole to stay over night at the Mercure hotel for three nights. We had to change our reservations just a little bit and then on Thursday we will head back to Warsaw and get there in the evening. Then Friday if needed I can shop or pack and get ready for the return flight on Saturday.

I decided to not go to Kamien. It is a really long drive and I wasn’t sure that it would be worth it because Danuta called and Gerard Gralla’s wife said that they were not able to find any old pictures.

So tomorrow I will drive around locally looking at the towns of my ancestors and taking pictures. Nothing heavy duty. So that will be nice to do. I have found some amazing records. I hope that I will be able to receive the copies that I requested because they will be amazing.

Tonight Weronika is here while I type and she is watching Harry Potter who since the last time I saw it, has really learned to speak Polish well! He really is amazing!

She was shy at first to try and speak English that she knows and her mom says that she has now loosened up quite a bit.

As usual today, Danuta made an excellent secretary. You really need one for all the forms to fill out. I found many of my ancestors had arrest records for thievery, drunkenness, guns, abuse, racial discrimination, etc., Boy, it is crazy, is it not?

It has rained all day, but isn’t too cold, though. Tonight after we returned from the archives, we went with Jan to the Koschentin Palace and picked up some souvenirs and then the owners took us for a tour of the palace rooms. They were very nice and clean and newly renovated. They were renovating a big hall on the main floor, as well. They rent the rooms like a hotel and downstairs there are banquets, weddings, etc. This is where Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen lived back in the day. They were the local nobility. The palace is right across from the forestry building and I never noticed it before. It is quite beautiful and large. I wonder if Great-grandpa Franz was there and walked those same halls as did I today.

I had to do some hand washing tonight. Otherwise things might be a little rough but we shall survive.

I think that is everything. Love the archives and what they have there. I had no idea, not even a clue. This has been a great experience for me. All for tonight. I don’t think that I will have an opportunity to post till Monday unless I charge the computer and go to the church at some time. For some reason I get my internet connection there.

I almost forgot, the 86 year old sister of Jan and Marysia, Eleonora died in July of this year and 2 days after she had a leg removed surgically she died.... 
The blog stuff is all written in Polish so I always hope everything works right!

No comments:

Post a Comment