Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Smith Family Conch Shell Search (Shared by Nathan Smith)

So through a contact made through Ancestry.com an interesting story has come to light.  I have my tree posted which also shows my grandchildren's tree from which they descend as cousins to the LDS Prophet Joseph Smith through their paternal family lines, not mine. I received a message from Nathan Smith regarding a conch shell which he explains below and was passed down through the years:

The story goes that originally there were two shells that were connected together. Two brothers found the shells and sawed it in half, each brother taking one shell and passing it down through the generations. I descend from the family that has one shell, and John Lyman Smith's line had the other shell. I am looking for that shell to maybe get them both together again and take pictures. The last time the two shells were together was in the 1980's. 

If you would be able to ask around a bit through your family, I would be most grateful. It could be a pretty fun thing if we could track it down. Last note I have is that it was held in Oakley Idaho at the John Lyman Smith home. I believe this was back in the 1970's.


So then I am posting it to see if we can possibly locate this second shell.  It's a nice story and I hope someone reading this will have heard about it at some time or has some info on it's whereabouts.  If so, leave a comment and I will get you in touch with him.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment