Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Saturday, June 10, 2017

Japanese Genealogy Discovery Found through an Ancestry.com Hint!

It is not everyday I am able to find a new bit of knowledge and information about my husband's Japanese family members.  I was not expecting what I found, nor was he.  His immediate family circle were all residents of Hawaii during World War II, so internment camps were not a part of their lives.  He always told me no one lived "stateside" and so no family members experienced the interment camps.

Well, I have our combined tree on Ancestry.com and periodically I get an email with a new "hint".  I have to admit, I don't always check them.  But this one caught my eye and I checked!

My husband's mother was the daughter of Bunji Dono who lived in Hawaii.  His 1/2 sister was Hisako Okamura.  Hisako and Bunji shared the same mother but not the same fathers.  She and her husband Jitsuo Yamamoto had a "shakey green leaf" hint.  I was surprised to find that the hint was to their registration at the Hear Mountain, Wyoming Relocation Center.

Here is a link to the site about the Relocation Center.  And here is a link the is for the actual website.

It was a sobering moment when I found this information as I had mentioned that we knew nothing of it before.

Spencer called the Heart Mountain number on the website and they told him of a DVD regarding the history of Heart Mountain Camps.  Heart Mountain is about a 15 minutes drive from Cody, Wyoming.  The DVD was well produced and it was also sad to see the way these American Japanese were treated during WWII.  It was a very heart wrenching DVD.  I am glad I discovered this fact and it is hard to believe no one had ever mentioned this to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment