Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Saturday, May 6, 2017

Check, Check and RECHECK!

I had a co-worker tell me that he doesn't use or have a need to use a personal genealogy program that is kept on his computer. Hmmm... well, I have to disagree.  Sorry, but I now totally understand why I feel this way.  So my latest project was to print out my pedigree charts from my Legacy Tree files.  Then I wanted to cross reference with what I had on Family Tree and see if I was missing anything.  Well, I have now been working on this for nearly a month and pretty steady at that.  It wasn't as simple as I expected.  People were mis-merged, when there was a person with a common name, someone connected with me making this family have kids all over different parts of Germany.  Obviously these were families with a great amount of "Wanderlust" not to mention, vacation time!

Lots of my families were disconnected, and duplicated several times over.  As I have been checking and correcting, I mark them off on my printed out pedigrees to know what to start the next time.  I haven't even made a dent.  But I am putting a "watch" on every record I go to.  So the next time someone touches it, I am on it!

But a good thing is, that I have found some new relatives and also some that have continued where I left off, finding and researching the lines further back.  That's exciting news, to say the least!  So there are the good, the bad, and some pretty ugly things found, as well!  None-the-less, it was a project that needed doing.  I'm just wishing it wouldn't take so long.  But sometime down the road, I will be done, until then, I persevere!

I do love how FamilySearch puts you in touch with relatives and helps to extend the cousin lines in different directions.

1 comment: