Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Monday, September 7, 2015

I'm Irish????? DNA Test Results!

So this past week proved very interesting as I got back my parent's DNA test results.  My surprises were with the HEAVY Great Britain DNA.  And Irish!  Yes, this Eastern European girl has Irish roots and needs to check that out.  I suspect this is WAY far back during the middle ages perhaps???

I can tell you that it doesn't show on my pedigree anywhere!  And my mom's DNA was 14% Scandinavian. Now that I figured out because my Ulfik/Ulfig relatives shared with me that their researcher Opa in Poland did research clear back to the beginning of the church records and perhaps a bit beyond when the Scandinavian soldiers marched through.   So that one made some sense to me.

Now I need to find me a 4 leaf clover!

Well, so to prove my German roots, here's a recipe!  My mother's famous red cabbage

Omi’s Red Cabbage
Eva Hoeke

2 lbs.red cabbage  
1 onion, chopped
3-4 sour apples, quartered
5 whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
3-5 whole cloves
“maggi seasoning” to taste (actually I am using Liquid Aminos these days, less salt)
Vegetable or olive oil

Combine the following in a measuring cup for the liquid.  You may need to add more.
1 c. water
2 T. vinegar
1 t. sugar

 Cut the red cabbage finely.  Boil water in large pot and pour over chopped red cabbage.  Drain well.  Brown the chopped onion in oil.  Put in chopped red cabbage and apples.   Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer 1 – 1 ½ hours.  Watch the liquid levels as you may need to add more so that the cabbage doesn't burn. Season again when cooked.  It may need a little more vinegar after it has finished cooking.  Actually tastes better the 2nd day.  Can be frozen, also.


No comments:

Post a Comment