Sadow Parish 2010

Sadow Parish 2010

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Belmonty White Russia

For many years I have wondered about the place to where my great grandfather was exiled to after he was caught poaching on the Prince Hohenlohe-Ingelfingen's property.  You can read more about my great-grandfather, Franz Gralla, in an earlier post.  He was a forester for the prince and  was trying to provide for his large family and others in the community.  Even after over 100 years, the family that lived in his house knew of the story and shared it again with us.  They referred to him as Robin Hood of Koszecin, robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. 

Well, after this, he was punished by serving in the forests in Belmont, White Russia.  It took me forever to locate this place but I could never find anything on Google, probably because of the language barrier. 

Recently Anastasia Dmietrienko, a Baltic area researcher contacted me through LinkedIn. And she has been so kind to help me and located two links with pictures of Belmonty, the church and Park/palace areas.  Here are the links:


The Akhremovtsy (Belmonty) Church 1858 -


Belmont Park 1780 – 1920(50)
http://orda.of.by/.add/gallery.php?ahremovcy/manor_main/sf 

For me, this was wonderful and now I can share these links with other family members who might like to see where Franz Gralla lived.  And it does look foresty...doesn't it?  The cemetery brings some thoughts to my mind that Franz had a couple of children that were buried there. 

Thanks Anastasia!  If anyone would need a professional researcher in the Baltic area, please let me know and I will happily share her information!  You might also Check her blog at this link.  This is a Russian language blog.  Anastasia has given me permission to share her email address which is anastasiia.dmitrienko@gmail.com.  So feel free to contact her!

Here is a little update on Belmont.  The church in Belmonty was open from 1768-and then there was a fire  and 10 years ago the church was rebuilt.  Here you can See the link to the present Catholic church.  And here is a Polish site that describes the Braslaw area.

No comments:

Post a Comment